|This article is about the television series character. You may be looking for the film character, "Dewey Finn (film)."|
—Dewey to the class.
Dewey Finn is a main character in School of Rock. He's an unsuccessful musician who wants to rock out and teach the students. He was a pre-occupied (substitute) teacher, but as of Changes, he becomes a permanent teacher at William B. Travis Prep School.
Dewey is portrayed by Tony Cavalero.
Dewey is a hippie and poor person destined to be on top. He used to work in an ice-cream stand. His mother is a substitute teacher, and he said his mother loved the students, so he faked a teacher certificate and became the substitude teacher of 21-B. After Mrs. Calpakis came back, he became very emotional, but then was transferred to be a kindergarten teacher. However, the kindergarteners are too evil, so Mrs. Calpakis went to be a kindergarten teacher, and Dewey became an offical teacher for 21-B.
Dewey is a rocking musician who only thinks about having fun and learning about music. He is described by Freddy as "barely an adult" and is very childish. However, he manages to inspire the students, and teach them in the same time.
Principal Mullins is very friendly with Mr. Finn and enjoys his presence as he is seen teaching the students more than what she expected. Mr. Finn likes her as he can keep his job by impressing her and earning her approval. However, in Is She Really Going Out With Him, it is implied that she has feelings for Mr. Finn when she looks at him from behind and smiles.
Compared to the boys, Dewey holds closer relationships with the girls, especially Summer. In The Story of Us (But More About Me), he helps Summer try and prove herself as a songwriter and generally helps her find a place in the band, earning her title of band manager from him (Should I Stay or Should I Go?). He later help her become a great singer through hypnosis and fixes her friendship with Tomika when they spark a rivalry (I Put a Spell On You).
Like Summer, Tomika holds a close relationship with Dewey. He inspires her to be herself and not fear the limelight as the bassist and singer for the band even with embarrassment (We Can Be Heroes...Sort Of). He helps her out again in Total Eclipse of the Heart by helping her overcome her fear of sleeping away from home. In Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, Dewey recommends that Tomika tells Zack that she just wants to be friends with him so that the confusion they caused could be solved.
|“||New day, fresh start!||”|
—Mr. Finn (Don't Stop Believin')
- He is different to the movie version of Dewey Finn.
- Compared to his movie counterpart, he didn't change his name and uses his real name.
- He wrote Summer's recommendation on a napkin.
- According to Summer, he rarely showers.
- He is frequently late to teach the students.
- He lives in the basement at home with his father.
- His mother works as a substitute teacher.
- He never received any straight A's, B's and C's while he was still in school.
- In the original film, he was portrayed by Jack Black, where as he is portrayed by Tony Cavalero, in the TV series.
- He is right-handed.
- He said that his middle name Is Alejandro.
- He once put 40 bees in his mouth to get tickets to a concert, which resulted in him ending up in the hospital for a week and missing the concert.
- It was his childhood dream to play the Austin Music Festival.
- He, along with Tomika, ship Freddy and Summer.
|School of Rock Characters|
|Tomika • Freddy Huerta • Summer Hathaway • Zack Kwan • Lawrence Dooley • Dewey Finn • Principal Mullins|
|Clark O'Shannon • Esmeralda • Kale • Asher|