|“||I'm tired of being defined by this one-way relationship!||”|
—Summer about her feelings towards Freddy (Total Eclipse of the Heart)
Summer is portrayed by Jade Pettyjohn.
Not satisfied with playing tambourine in the band, she ultimately becomes the manager when she realizes she can use her organizational skills to help out the band. Summer had a crush on Freddy until Total Eclipse of the Heart.
An overachiever with perfect attendance, schoolwork and organization come easy to Summer. She's one for helping people out and putting others before herself, like McKenna Daugherty in her favorite book "Terminal Heart". That’s why she makes a great band manager! Always prepared for every possible scenario, Summer relies on her best friend Tomika to keep her grounded. Thanks to the band, she’s finally learning to take some risks in the name of rock!
Main article: Freddy and Summer
In Come Together, it is shown that Summer has a major crush on Freddy when she tells Tomika that she was impressed with his skateboarding skills. Throughout the series, Summer has dropped major hints to the others (mainly towards Freddy) around her that she likes him, from setting up situations where he would work and be with her to saying so out loud (We're Not Gonna Take It). However, Tomika and Mr. Finn are the only ones who know about how she feels. This continues until the Season 2 episode Total Eclipse of the Heart, where Freddy and Kale break up. He finds out that they don't have much in common and finds out he actually likes Summer after talking with her before breaking up with Kale. At this point, Summer has gotten over him and was over him when they talked. Freddy goes back to the roof to tell Summer he likes her, but finds that Summer is on the roof with Asher and he witnesses Asher give Summer his jacket to warm her up. As a result, Freddy leaves the roof heartbroken and jealous, and this could build up into a presumed love triangle between Freddy, Summer, and Asher for Season 3.
Main Article: Summer and Tomika
Summer and Tomika are best friends and have been for the longest time. They are usually very open with each other and while they do keep some secrets and argue from time to time, they are always there for each other and support each other. Tomika helps Summer deals with her feelings for Freddy while Summer helps Tomika fit in and feel more comfortable as the band's singer.
Good Friend/(Fake) Ex-Boyfriend
Main article: Summer and Zack
Zack and Summer are friends, but in The Story of Us (But More About Me), Summer asks Zack to be her boyfriend to help her write a breakup song like Taylor Swift. Zack declines before his brother, Ashton, likes the fact Zack has a girlfriend. In order to avoid being teased, Zack agrees to be Summer's boyfriend until she dumps his half an hour later. They are placed together again in Wouldn't It Be Nice?, where Zack gets the note Summer meant to send to Freddy about sharing her locker. Since then, they have a strong friendship.
Possible Crush/Good Friend
Main Article: Summer and Asher
Summer and Asher both attend William B. Travis Prep School as students and work together on the school's Student Council. They first interacted in Brilliant Disguise as there was a student council meeting on music for the fall dance. In Total Eclipse of the Heart, Summer and Asher both attended the lock-in and at the end of the episode, the two share a moment on the roof that included a conversation and Asher giving Summer his jacket when she was cold (while a heartbroken Freddy watched them) while looking at the Blood Moon and the lunar eclipse. After this episode, it is implied that there is a mutual attraction between them that may be seen in Season 3.
|“||I'm NOT impressed...I am SO impressed!||”|
—Summer (Come Together)
|“||They're all singing the same song, and I just wanna sing along. I just want to be with them, but I'm outside looking in.||”|
—Summer on her role in the band (The Story of Us (But More About Me))
- Summer is the show's adaption of Miranda Cosgrove's character in the original 2003 movie.
- Even though Summer can't sing, Jade Pettyjohn, her portrayer, is a good singer, like Miranda Cosgrove is.
- However, due to Mr. Finn hypnotizing her, she is an excellent singer under the trigger word of "persimmon". While Principal Mullins was fixed from her hypnosis, Summer was not shown or stated to be. Since then, she provides backup vocals to Tomika's singing.
- Summer is tone deaf.
- Her last name may be a reference to Breanna Yde, the portrayer of Tomika playing as Frankie Hathaway in The Haunted Hathaways. However, this is unlikely as her last name was already Hathaway is the original 2003 movie.
- Summer has two posters of Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge and the wife of Prince William, in her room.
- She wrote "Let Me In" without knowing it.
- In the movie, Summer showed no crush on Freddy. In the TV version, she does have a crush on him.
- In A Band With No Name, Summer states that she keeps a batch of cupcakes in her locker and refreshes the batch every week in the hope that it'll come in handy.
- Her favorite book is "Terminal Heart".
- Just like her movie counterpart, Summer is the band manager.
To view the Summer Hathaway gallery, click here.
|School of Rock characters|
|Dewey Finn • Freddy Jones • Summer Hathaway • Lawrence Dooley • Zack Kwan • Tomika|
|Jade Holden • Vince • Principal Mullins • Clark • Esmeralda • Grungy Keytarist • Mrs. Calpakis • Kale • Justin • Asher|